It’s My Land: How to Deal with Travelers or Nomads


Statistics reveal that around 300,000 travelers live in the UK today. Out of that figure, around 60,000 or so settle in caravans either legally or illegally on private land. These campers might cause some disturbances within the community. Worse, these travelers might occupy land illegally and leave an unpleasant mess within the area at the expense of the landowner.

Of course, landowners do not want that happening in their yard. That is why traveler eviction can lessen the damage to a landowner’s private land. It will also protect the landowner from any breach of the local area’s license requirements or planning.

It is the primary responsibility of the landowner to take action steps to evict travelers who are illegally settled on private land. On the other hand, the council should be the one to take action if the travelers are illegally camped on council-owned property.

Land repossession from travelers

It can be tempting to let travelers stay within your private land as long as they don’t cause any trouble. However, it is your land, and you should protect it from illegal settlers as much as you can. There are two methods of evicting them: using ordinary law powers or through a writ of possession.

Before that, it is vital to settle matters as amicably as possible. After all, it is your right as a landowner to protect your property from being illegally settled on by strangers. You should ask the reason why they are there and how long they intend to stay on your land. But if they damage your property, then it might be time to use reasonable force.


1. Eviction through common law

As mentioned, it is your right as a landowner to evict someone who illegally settles on your property. In a common-law eviction, an agent will serve a written notice on the traveler on behalf of the landowner. Usually, the traveler will be given 24 hours to vacate the area. If the traveler fails to comply, the agent will have to call tow trucks to ensure that they will leave your land for good.

2. Eviction through a writ of possession

This one might be necessary if the traveler has entered your property in a bad demeanor and has no plans on leaving. In this case, an authorized enforcement agent and the police will be the ones to settle the issue. Through the writ of possession, no notice will be given to the illegal settler. You can start the eviction process with the help of the local authorities.

Keeping your property secured from illegal settlers

In the first place, you should keep your private property occupied to prevent strangers from settling illegally. Even if they come in peace, everyone should follow the law and consider the rights of property owners.

In the end, remember that you can protect your property from illegal settling by adding a protective fence or gate around it. It is still your right as a landowner to protect your property at all costs.